For planning purposes, here are the up-front costs most new teams can expect:
1. Team Number purchase. The Team Number is a code unique to your team that allows you to register to tournament. Buying a Team Number gets you access to the Challenge Materials, Rules of the Road, practice Instant Challenges, and Team Manager training.
A Team Number costs $165 USD. In some areas around the world, pricing will differ based on your local economy. Visit our Pricing page for more details.
2. Background Check purchase. All of our Team Managers must clear a background check before they begin working with their team. You can purchase a Sterling Background Check through DI for $25. To review other ways to obtain or share a background check, visit our Background Check page.
3. Affiliate fees. Depending on your location, there may be additional Affiliate fees or Tournament fees. Use our Find DI Near Me page to learn more and to get contact information for an Affiliate or Regional Director near you.
Additional expenses that a team should consider will vary slightly, but can include:
- Supplies to create the team's Team Challenge solution. Teams must turn in an Expense Report to document their spending. Each Team Challenge has its own budget, and the team must stay within their Challenge's spending limits. Team Challenge budgets vary from $50-200 USD.
- Supplies to practice Instant Challenges. Not all Instant Challenges require supplies, and the ones that do often rely on recyclables or classroom supplies like pencils, mailing labels, or paper.
- Travel expenses to reach your local tournament. This will vary based on where you live. Check out our Find DI Near Me page to learn more about your local tournament.
If your team advances to our Global Finals tournament in May, you will need to consider expenses to cover your registration fee, travel, and housing. The registration fee for Global Finals is US$5,500 per team. Non-US teams will receive a US$500 discount to help cover visa application costs.